Broccoli-mushroom-cashew burgers [Vegan]Posted: May 20, 2011
I made burgers last night. Love burgers. The great thing about this healthy recipe is that you don’t need spices, this is good if you don’t have many spices in your cupboard or have a spice phobia. It also allows you to really taste the ingredients you put into it, ie. determination, hardwork, love…etc.
Here’s how to make healthy Broccoli-mushroom-cashew love burgers.
Adapted from this recipe.
Makes 12 small patties.
1/3 cup brown rice (dry measure)
1/2 tbsp olive oil for sauteeing
1 cup finely chopped broccoli
1 1/2 cups diced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp milled flaxseed and 4 tbsp warm water (flax egg)
1/3 cup kidney beans (or any type of bean really)
1/3 cup toasted cashews (or any toasted nut)
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
2 tbsp vital wheat gluten (or regular flour if your mum didn’t happen to accidentally purchase wheat gluten when attempting to buy gluten free flour)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a saucepan, bring the brown rice and 2/3 cup water to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until water is absorbed.
2. Over medium heat, warm the olive oil and add the mushrooms and broccoli. Cook until tender and mushrooms have released all their juice about 10 minutes. Mix in the garlic and tomato paste.
3. In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp flax with 4 tbsp warm water. Set aside and allow to thicken. This is the flax egg that will help the burgers stick together.
4. In a blender or food processor, add half the brown rice, the flax egg, the beans, half the mushroom and broccoli mixture and the cashews. Process until almost smooth, and then transfer to a large bowl with the remaining mushroom and broccoli mixture.
5. Add in the remaining brown rice stirring to combine. Stir in the wheat gluten and bread crumbs.
6. Heat oil over medium heat and form the mixture into patties. Saute about five minutes on each side, or until golden, and then transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake about 15 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
These burgers can be enjoyed in a wrap with some fresh veggies.