Pear-goat cheese salad and some words about juicingPosted: April 9, 2012
JUICE! I recently watched a documentary about healthy eating called Hungry For Change (you should watch it) and it brought up the concept of juicing to help increase your daily vegetable and nutrient intake. There are lots of reasons why juicing is good for you and I encourage you to do a bit of research on the subject. So after watching the film, I have decided to challenge myself to make and drink at least one cup of juice a day for a while to see how I feel on the inside and out.
Things I’ve noticed so far:
1. I feel like I have more energy
2. I’m actually using up the veggies in my fridge rather than having them sit there to be thrown out at the end of the week
3. I have less of a craving for sugar
4. I crave fresh food more than cooked (I find myself craving fresh juices, veggies, fruits more so than before)
Some juice ingredients I have been experimenting with are carrots, kale, lemon, orange, apple, zucchini, cucumber, cilantro, parsley. One delicious recipe to get you started juicing is to juice one apple, one carrot, and one lemon.
Now I’d like to share with you a healthy salad recipe that I recently snacked on and fell deeply in love with:
Pear-goat cheese delight!
handful of spinach leaves
1/4 pear chopped- I used a bosc pear
1 inch slice of goat cheese crumbled
a few dried cranberries
a sprinkle of pecans or hemp seeds or both
drizzle of your favourite basic balsamic vinaigrette *
*OR make your own by mixing 1 part vinegar with 2 parts olive oil and a bit of maple syrup, salt and peeper
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl in the order of appearance on the ingredients list. DONE.