Triumphant Tortillas and Sexy SalsaPosted: November 13, 2012
I have something very exciting to share with you….home made tortillas! Not only are they delicious but they are so easy to make. I promise you after making this simple recipe, you will never want to eat store bought tortillas ever again. Making your own tortillas also reduces the amount of plastic we have to buy, and then throw out-something I am becoming more aware of these days. In addition to this discovery this evening I also taught myself how to make salsa, which I will be sharing with you as well.
Flour Tortilla Recipe
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup of warm water
1. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the flour and mix it in the dry mixture with a spoon.
2. Slowly add the water and knead the dough until it is well combined (6-8 times). Cover the dough and let rest for 20 minutes.
3. Segment the dough into pieces about the size of the palm of your hand, shape the pieces in a ball and roll flat (about as thick as 15 sheets of paper-besically as thin as you can without tearing the dough).
4. Heat an un-greased frying pan to medium heat and place flattened dough in the pan until bubbles form and it turns golden brown on the bottom (about 1-2 minutes). Flip and allow the other side to brown. Repeat for the whole batch. The best way to eat these tortillas is fresh but you can also pack up, freeze them and save them for your next mexican feast.
Sexy Salsa Recipe
1 cup tomatoes chopped (I used cherry tomatoes)
1 green pepper chopped
1/4 red onion diced
5 tbsp crushed tomatoes (optional)
1/2 lime’s worth of lime juice (3 tbsp)
salt and pepper (dash of each)
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let sit in the fridge until ready to serve. The longer it sits the tastier it gets.