Berry Vegan Breakfast SconesPosted: June 3, 2013
Scones on a Sunday morning. One of my work mates pointed out to me this afternoon that I had “lived the dream” eating scones on a Sunday morning. Thinking about it now, I realize that, yes, I did live the a very stereotypical Sunday morning as I rolled out of bed and baked some fresh scones only to enjoy them later with a warm cup of tea. These scones are dairy-free, sugar free and use part whole wheat flour. A healthy and delicious way to start the morning out right. All I can say is they are tasty and I’m pretty sure my roommates liked them too.
Berry Vegan Breakfast Scones (recipe adapted from neverhomemaker)
Ingredients (makes 8 scones):
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup large flake oats
1/8 cup crushed walnuts (I just mushed a bag of walnuts on the counter with my hand=gourmet right?)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Virgin Cononut oil (the type that actually smells like coconut), you can also sub in real butter or any other non-dairy butter
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk (you can use any milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup frozen berries
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with butter of your choice.
2. Place the flours, coconut oil, and honey in a bowl and blend well.
3. Then mix in the salt, flax, and baking soda.
4. Add the milk and vanilla extract; mix until just moistened. Do not over-mix.
5. Fold in the berries and walnuts. Let sit for a few minutes until chilled by the berries.
6. Scoop the dough onto a clean, well-floured work surface. Loosely shape into a circle and pat down.
7. Cut into wedges and then place on a cookie sheet. Note: you can also do drop scones by just scooping large spoonfuls of dough onto the baking sheet, but I think wedges look pretty.
8. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until deep golden brown color. Let cool before serving.