Classic Overnight OatsPosted: June 23, 2013
I’m a huge oatmeal fan. There is nothing cozier than a warm bowl of hot oats to start off the day. But when summer hits, I find that I don’t want something warm in the morning. So if you’re an oat lover, and want an alternative to winter warm oats this is it. Not to mention it’s quick, it is literally a 2 step process! Instead of cooking the oats, you soak them. I usually throw this together the evening before, store it in the fridge and grab-it-and-go the next morning. The great thing about this recipe is that it is totally adaptable to your taste bud preferences as well working off of the basic recipe.
Classic Overnight Oats
Ingredients (1 serving):
1/3 cup regular oats
1 cup almond milk, and more if needed
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 tbsp liquid sweetner (I use maple syrup)
Optional add-ins before it goes in the fridge:
- chopped walnuts
- frozen berries
- 1tbsp each hemp seeds and ground flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
In the morning topping Ideas:
- chopped banana
- fresh berries
- spoonful of almond butter
1. Mix together all ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge overnight covered. At this stage it will look a bit liquidy, but don’t worry, after the oats soak up the milk and the chia seeds gel up it will take on a more oatmeal-y texture.
2. In the morning, add your desired toppings, serve cold and enjoy the refreshing taste of soaked oats. Probably your new favourite breakfast?
As always thanks for reading and please leave a comment to let me know your favourite summer breakfast ideas.